April 4, 2008

Quality of Learning

"The quality of life depends on the questions we ask ourselves."

In Chris Corrigan's latest blog (Parking Lot), he brings up the wonderful challenge to us. Chris is a life learning, experiencing the waves in which life comes at or through us. His latest challenge is about "try(ing) this approach out and see if there is something that gathers your attention and piques your curiosity enough that you’d be willing to engage in a a somewhat public 30 day research project". The question I will ask myself is "In decolonization, liberation, and resurgence, what are the habits that I need to create or foster, and the ones I need to relinquish and dissolve, in order to be a "good" leader, for myself, my family, and my people?"

Chris brings up in this post a concept we had chats about before. Goal setting is something that's always evaded me, despite frequent attempts by School educators. In my recent projects, I've taken up a mentorship with a good friend, Aaron Nelson-Moody, in traditional arts. His first assignment: "Draw. Draw. Draw. Draw, draw, draw." I've picked up "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" a few months ago on the advice of Grace Llywellyn in "The Teenage Liberation Handbook". I have both the workbook and the actual book. I've done a couple of the challenge or tasks and it has greatly changed the way I think. I also found the Right Brain vs. Left Brain Creativity Test. Turns out, they are pretty even. My final numbers were 57% Right Brain, 52% Left Brain.

But what my mentor brought up about goals and passion, is how sometime when we share that passion through telling others of what we are working on, that passion tends to dissipate. I've experienced it myself with story idea's for short stories, or projects I want to get started. So lately, I've been more secretive about them. Not successfully because I still tell most of my friends about my projects, but I've also been recording them so they don't disappear and can find that passion once more. Because regardless if I tell them, my passion may go, but because the project hasn't started or isn't going, I'll find that passion again because I'll be the only one with it.

The other thing my mentor brought up was setting goals for myself, and keeping to them. Even if they are small goals, in a measurable sense. "I'll accomplish this many drawings this week", "I'll read this many chapters this day." Although I think this works for some, I'm finding that it's not apart of my decolonization or deschooling way I want to live my life. I'll ask to talk to him more about "goals"...lol. But for all intents and purposes, this way of, exploration, and inquisitive inqurery into the fabrics of life feels more natural and fulfilling. I don't have a goal, I have question. And I want to see that question answered. But in doing so, I'll return to a child-mind and see where life takes me. As a child-mind, I'll find out some thing don't work, and move around fluid-like to a way that does work. When a child, uncorrupted by school-style learning, goes places with their mind, they keep going in any direction that works. Not judgment or blocks in terms of the acquiring of knowledge. Open, fully, to the things that may come through my mind, and possibly stay there.

So Chris, game is on. 30 day of this question, "In decolonization, liberation, and resurgence, what are the habits that I need to create or foster, and the ones I need to relinquish and dissolve, in order to be a "good" leader, for myself, my family, and my people?"

3 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)