February 11, 2009

A Take On the Art of Hosting

This 6 minute film was shared to me by Chris Corrigan, who has his own blog here at Parking Lot. He is a facilitator, organizing, and process-artist (still love that title Chris). He's been a major influence on my own life, and introduced me to idea's paradigms, and methodologies that already have an impact on the work I do with my community, but will do so even more in the coming year as I begin ramping up the dial on my community dialogue, youth empowerment, and decolonization projects. The movie is about a community of practitioners worldwide focused on the "Art of Hosting", which is about the art of hosting conversations that matter. A few months ago, I posed the question
"What are the conversations that need to happen in my nation?"

I came up with wonderful harvests on that question, including conversations that need to happen between multi-generations, conversations that need to happen between our artists, conversations that need to happen between those who care about our community and those who need someone caring for them. The revolutionary act is in conversations. One of my favorite authors Paulo Freire taught me that in his book "Pedagogy of the Oppressed". That in order for liberation to occur, the oppressed and the revolutionaries must act dialogically to achieve liberation, and that failing to dialogue with the oppressed is not liberation, but more oppression. He also said, "The oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors", and this became true for all the former-activists turned Band Councilor Politician/Businessman.

The gift of conversations is both those conversing, but also those who can host them too. And that is where there is the art of hosting.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)