January 6, 2009

What I See is Colonialism

When this all started going down, I was going to make a post about supporting Palestine, but have backed out of that when viewing all the articles, blogs, facebook posts, saying basically the same thing I would. What Israel, the US, and Europe is doing to Palestine, I see as colonialism. What I see the Palestinian people doing is resisting colonialism. Displacing land, people, culture- cutting off from their nations own resources and then benefiting from them- destroying and committing genocide- all say colonialism to me. For those who haven't figured it out yet, I am anti-colonial, and see all the evidence to know that what Israel is permitted to do to the Palestinian is wrong. There is no simpler way of putting it.

In an age of apathy, I wonder both on global and community levels of how someone creates change. In the apparatus created for Indians with reserves, band councilors, and Indian Acts, it's increadibley hard to accomplish any kind of change because you have to 'conform' to the system that's trying to eat you up. On a global level, there are forces at play larger then any single one of our consciencess can understand, and my response is to find like-minded individuals and say, do, and be heard for what ever we can.

---------------------

Vancouver Rally for Gaza

(Photo by Dustin Rivers)

Time and Place

Date:
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Time:
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Location:
Vancouver Art Gallery
Street:
750 Hornby Street


0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)